LLTI Archives

October 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 14:11:00 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Fischer, Robert A" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Fischer, Robert A" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:33:51 -0500
>Subject: Call for Submissions for Special Issue of the CALICO Journal
>acceptlanguage: en-US

Title: Second Language Acquisition Theories, Technologies, and Language
Learning

Co-editors: Bryan Smith (Arizona State University) and Steven L. Thorne
(Penn State)

This special issue of the CALICO Journal is intended to provide a
state-of-the-art overview of diverse approaches to the processes,
methodologies, and findings associated with second language acquisition
theory and research in the context of new media and second/foreign language
education. We solicit technology-related research that examines foreign and
second language learning and teaching taking place in traditional
instructional settings, blended learning formats, distance education
contexts, as well as language use and learning in organic and open internet
environments (e.g., internet interest communities, online gaming and virtual
worlds, etc.). Empirical studies are particularly encouraged and critical
review pieces are also welcome.

The editors seek original submissions that represent diverse research
methodological and theoretical approaches including (but not limited to):

Psycholinguistics
Human-computer interaction
Ecological approaches
Conversation analysis
Critical applied linguistics/critical pedagogy
Corpus and/or computational linguistics
Cognitive neuroscience
Discourse analysis
Interactional sociolinguistics
Language socialization
Systemic functional linguistics
Interaction approach to SLA
Sociocognitive approaches
Cultural-historical activity theory and/or Vygotskian sociocultural theory
Linguistic anthropology
Cultural studies
Communication theory

Each author will be expected to provide a concise description of the SLA
approach and/or research methodology employed in the article, important
research and pedagogical findings produced from this framework, and to
address the strengths and limitations of the theory in relationship to
applied linguistics research, pedagogical practice and technology design.

Please send inquiries and suggestions for contributions to both Steve Thorne
([log in to unmask]) and Bryan Smith ([log in to unmask]). Please list
CALICO Journal Special Issue in the subject line.

Extended abstracts (~500 words) are due by January 15th, 2010.
Full-length manuscripts are due by May 15th, 2010.

The CALICO Journal is the journal of the Computer Assisted Language
Instruction Consortium (CALICO) and is devoted to the dissemination of
information concerning the application of technology to language teaching
and language learning. The CALICO Journal is fully refereed and publishes
articles, research studies, reports, software reviews, and professional news
and announcements. The CALICO Journal (ISSN 0742-7778) is published three
times a year (September, January, and May).