LLTI Archives

September 2009, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:42:06 -0400
Hello all, I've finally gotten around to compiling everyone's responses
about tutor training materials. Hope this helps.

1. Norval Bard ([log in to unmask]) of North Central College adapted a
handbook for tutors that has some great info on the mission and purpose of
the tutors, what good tutoring is and is not, study tips to share with
language students, basic tutoring skills, learning styles, how to deal with
student complaints, tutor contract, and more. This was a real find and I was
able to quickly adapt it to meet our needs. Thank you, Norval!

2. Brenda J. Bertrand ([log in to unmask]) of Wittenberg University
writes, "We are a level 2 (advanced) tutoring facility, accredited with the
CRLA (College Reading and Learning Association).  I teach a tutor training
course every fall.  We use the University of North Carolina's videos on
tutor training to meet accreditation standards." Thanks to Brenda for being
willing to share her syllabus. I will be looking more closely at her
syllabus as I work to develop our own 8-week course. Thanks to Tina
Oestreich for the lead.

3. Ted Peebles ([log in to unmask]) shared with me some textbook-specific
training materials for training Assistant Teachers at the University of
Richmond. He writes, "Our stuff is really textbook specific (in Spanish we
use _Dicho y Hecho_, _Puentes_ and _Imagina_) and is loosely based on the
Rassias (Dartmouth) method of call and respond oral substitution drills."
Thanks to Sharon Scinicariello for the lead.

4. Dennie Hoopingarner ([log in to unmask]) of CLEAR writes that "The Center
for Language Education And Research (CLEAR) at Michigan State University has
created guides for language tutors who have little or no training in
language teaching. The guides are freely downloadable in PDF format from our
website. Although the guides are specified for a particular language, the
principles of language teaching can be applied to any language. The
language-specific areas of the guides are related to the specific examples
that target language points of the target language."

Link to the African guide:
http://clear.msu.edu/clear/store/moreinfo.php?product_ID=10

I also enjoyed watching bits and pieces of the training video:
http://clear.msu.edu/clear/video/african/

5. Daryl L. Beres ([log in to unmask]) from Mont Holyoke College sent the
following about a handbook for tutor trainers: "You should take a look at
the College Reading and Learning Association website (http://www.crla.net/).
Their Tutor Training handbook, while unfortunately not free or
downloadable--you have to order through the mail--has a lot of really useful
information.  It is a guide for tutor trainers, such as ourselves (as
opposed to a guide for the tutors), and it was written for tutoring in any
subject area, but it contains a lot of info that is applicable to
languages." Note: I think our Writing Center is already accredited with
CRLA, so I am hoping that somehow we can take advantage of that
accreditation experience. I'm sure Brenda Bertrand (Item 2) would have much
to share about the accreditation process.

I believe I have included everyone's responses. Thanks to all for your
suggestions and information.

Allison

--
Allison L. Weiss