LLTI Archives

September 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:18:57 -0400
(1)   --- Forwarded Message from David Herren <[log in to unmask]> ---

Nisuswriter <http://nisus.com>

Opens and saves word file, handles Arabic beautifully.

/david

--
david herren - shoreham, vt, us na terra solsys orionarm

Candidate for 11th Commandment: "Thou shalt not hold loud
conversations on thy mobile phone in a public place."

(2)  from [log in to unmask]

Jon,

Mac Office does not allow for right-to-left input, and apparently they do not
plan to offer this in the near future.

Our Arabic and Hebrew profs using Macs use Mellel (www.redlers.com) which is
designed with Semitic languages in mind (and is a superior word processor.)
Others prefer Nisus Writer.  Both can read and export to .doc, if nedded.

~~
Academic Technologies
http://apps.carleton.edu/campus/at/

Foreign Language Technology
http://go.carleton.edu/f

My Calendar:
[log in to unmask]&fmt=freebusy" target="_blank">https:[log in to unmask]&fmt=freebusy

Carly J. Born
Academic Technologies
Carleton College | 507-222-7010 | [log in to unmask]

(3) from [log in to unmask]

Jon,

My only experience with Arabic and MS Word on the Mac is identical to
yours.  The users I support have resolved themselves to using Windows
under VMWare Fusion or Parallels for any Arabic word processing that has
to be shared with Windows users.  They use OSX for everything else.  I
also would like to know if there is a better solution out there.

Thanks,

Dennis Meek, Computer Desktop Support
Office of Technology Services
Trinity College of Arts & Sciences, Duke University
phone: 919-812-1495
email: [log in to unmask]

(3) from  [log in to unmask]

Here are related articles. Hopefully Microsoft will finally fix it in Office
2010 due out soon.

"MS Word (no right-to-left text layout support, at least in the mac
version)."
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7333

MS Office 2008 for Mac SP2, still no Arabic
http://www.saudimac.com/2009/07/21/ms-office-2008-mac-sp2-still-no-arabic/

Open Office or Neo Office are free alternatives.

John Fahey
UT El Paso

(4) from Bill Koulopoulos <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Jon,

We've had the same problem here as well.  Our solution was to use
OpenOffice.  It's free, it's Word compatible and it's platform
independent.

Bill
---
Bill Koulopoulos
Educational Technologist
Columbia University
351B International Affairs Building
420 West 118th Street
New York, NY 10027
Mail Code: 3380
Tel: 212-854-6132

(5) from Meyers, Daniel E. Mr." <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Jon. Word 2004 and 2008 are notorious for not providing Arabic
support. We use NeoOffice instead. It's free, works with Arabic, and
can open and save .doc files.

Daniel E. Meyers
Interactive Language Resource Center
Austrian Summer Scholars Program