LLTI Archives

September 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:24:46 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Detiveaux, Georges J"

>From: "Detiveaux, Georges J" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 13:42:06 -0500
>Subject: DeepFreeze versus CleanSlate?
>acceptlanguage: en-US

Howdy...

So that students can't make possibly pernicious changes to student stations,
we're running DeepFreeze quite happily. I have a nice little control console for
my labs from which I can do lots of useful things, like thaw them to make
changes on student stations, restart them all, etc., either to one room, one
station, a few stations, all stations, both rooms, etc.

However, our college system, in its continued efforts to standardize,
systematize, and erase all individuality and assimilate everyone into one
collective where all unique cultures will be adapted to service said collective,
will soon force us to switch to CleanSlate. My question is: Does anyone
currently use CleanSlate? If so, do you know if various labs all over your
campus can still have their own control console to thaw, freeze, reboot, etc.
the computers in their lab(s) only? Or must they all be controlled by one Borg
Queen? Can these consoles and groups exist in such a way that the admin over a
given lab can't have access to other computer stations on campus (we'd hate to
be the accidental cause of restarts and unwanted thawing in other people's
labs!)?

If you have experience with CleanSlate, and can address this, I welcome your
reactions either off-list or on.

Resistance is futile. Comply. (or not...)

Cheers,

Georges.J.Detiveaux<at>LoneStar.Edu
manager/instructional technology consultant, teaching & learning center labs
language labs, http://cyfair.lonestar.edu/languagelabs
french, http://faculty.lonestar.edu/gdetiveaux

lone star college-cyfair
9191 barker cypress road, LRNC-212a