LLTI Archives

September 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 2009 09:24:33 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 09:29:27 -0500
>From: Lauren Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #9225 WIKIS AND BLOGS
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Dr. Ward,

The short answer is expect a ton from your students and they will do
their best to meet those expectations. We have been using wikis for
several years now with our Japanese students and by late September-
early October, 1st semester students are writing short paragraphs
about themselves, including pictures and short videos of things such
as their daily routine. These are students that first had to learn to
type using the Japanese font and didn't start class until at least the
first of Sept. (By law in WI public universities can't start before
the first). As a Spanish teacher who knows wikipedia, your students
will have no trouble using it. It will be similar to them typing into
a word processor and the students are already so use to these
technologies just from using facebook and so forth that they adapt
very quickly. Remember they have been posting videos and photos to
YouTube and similar sites for a long time now.

My recommendation is to focus on your instructional and learning
goals. Give students a clear idea of your expectations, perhaps in a
rubric, and use the wiki and/or blog regularly. You may decide to not
do regular compositions/papers as they will be writing more and more
often using the technology. I also recommend that what you have them
do in your wiki or blog is connected directly to what they are
learning in class as well as being personalized connecting it to
themselves. Then also design your writing assessments on tests to be
similar in topic to what they have practiced in their online writing.

Finally, one of the things that these technologies allows for that is
hugely important is a broader audience. Your students are no longer
writing just for you. They are writing for their classmates and
whomever else has access to the content based on how broadly you want
their work shared. You will likely find that they take more care in
what they write and their precision in writing it when they know and
understand that others are reading it. Make part of the assignment
that they need to read and comment on each others writing. You'll want
to organize this so that students aren't only reading one person and
the rest of the students don't get comments. Teach them about
constructive commenting (compliment, present a problem, suggest a
solution to make it better). This will help them in knowing what might
be appropriate to write as a comment and will help the author to
improve. Have the authors follow up after the comments adding more
information in response to their readers. At the same time, design the
writing so that for a student who didn't get a comment on a particular
posting still has more they can add to demonstrate what they know and
can say/do in the language.

I don't want to overwhelm you with what we have learned through doing
this but feel free to ask more questions. I could go on for a while on
this topic.
Lauren Rosen
Collaborative Language Program
University of Wisconsin