UV-BIRDERS Archives

August 2009, Week 3

UV-BIRDERS@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peg Ackerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:47:50 -0400
I am posting this message on behalf of Lou-Anne Conroy, our Upper
Valley coordinator for Project Nighthawk.
=============================
Hi!

I was wondering anyone would be interested in checking out the skies
along the Conn. River in search of migrating nighthawks? A couple of
us in the Lyme, Hanover area are trying to go out as much as we can
between 5-8 PM now through Sept. 30th. The peak of migration seems to
be around 7:00-7:30 PM. We saw our first 2 migrating down the Conn.
River corridor last night around 7:30 PM. We observe from the Ledyard
Bridge in Hanover and I check out an open field area on Sanborn Road
in E. Thetford along the Conn. River/Rt. 5 corridor.

It would be great if someone would go out and stand on a bridge over
the Conn. River or along the Conn. River where it is convenient with
binocs and spend whatever time you can during 5-8PM looking for the
birds. We have been recording zero sightings and sightings on the
following website:

http://www.borobirding.net/nighthawks/

Let me know if you go out and what you see. Again, no sightings are
valuable data too and should be noted on the website!!!

Thank you very much for your time and I hope you have the amazing
experience of seeing a dozen to hundreds of nighthawks winging their
way on their journey to S. America! Wish them safe travels!

I’d love to be kept in the loop if you do participate and hope you can
convince a few of your friends, family and colleagues to join you!

Best,

Lou-Anne Conroy