LLTI Archives

August 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 07:32:05 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Perkins, Jonathan" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #9209 language proficiency testing
>Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:28:02 -0500
>From: "Perkins, Jonathan" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Here at the other KU (University of Kansas), we exempt international students
from the foreign language requirement, provided they can do the following:

1) show that the language of instruction in their high school was a language
other than English
2) show requisite knowledge of English to be exempted from our non-credit ESL
classes

Basically, we are willing to stipulate that the student knows a language other
than English, and are requiring English proficiency to meet the foreign language
requirement.  This would seem an easy implementation through your ESL Transition
Program.

Jon

P.S.  In those cases where we have heritage (and other non-native) speakers
whose first language is English, we follow the same procedure as you describe:
find someone on campus who can certify that the student's knowledge of the FL is
equivalent to someone who has taken four semesters of the language at the
college-level.