MACSCRPT Archives

August 2009

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Brian Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:41:11 -0700
Hi Kee,

As the author of peacePipe, and a continuing user of the webstar-style
api, I remain (mostly) happy with the way peacePipe works. It's principle
liability has to do with very-large postings (>32k) where it can choke,
and it doesn't support absolutely all of the webstar calling pattern
(e.g., the full-posting option that gets the entire header, etc. ---
sorry, I've forgotten the key name right now) partly for space, and partly
because there are a few things the apache execution environment doesn't
make available. The other potential difficulty for a high-volume site is
threading. peacePipe is singly threaded.

peacePipe provides a mechanism for connecting traditional "handle CGI
request" applescripts (I just did a short one in ScriptEditor 2.2.1 for AS
2.0.1 and it compiles ok) to the apple "personal web sharing" (apache)
service. No installer, so it takes a little willingness to fiddle the
httpd.conf file, but it works, and I'm happy to work with you (viz
support). However, it is not widely used by others that I know of (I've
stopped closely monitoring downloads, so don't know), so you may not feel
comfortable with it. Feel free to write to me off-list if you're
interested. I should test a re-compile (it's an X-code project)... yup,
still compiles and runs under 10.4.11 ...

   -Brian Johnson, Dept of Architecture, University of Washington, Seattle
                   http://quicksilver.be.washington.edu/software