MACSCRPT Archives

August 2009

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Lloyd Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:14:52 -0400

> Would like to know what, if anything, people are using to run
> AppleScript as a CGI?

I use Perl to handle the request and have Perl call the AS applet to do
it's thing. I use that to build business cards for the company. The
Perl code handles the http request and queries the database with
parameters passed in and then writes out a text file, and launches the
AS applet that reads in the text file and drives Quark and Distiller to
built the cards.

I have also worked on applets that make web service calls to get their
data that were kicked off in the same sort of way.

> The web page for acgiDispatcher seems to have disappeared.
> There was a piece of code called PeacePipe and it appears to meet the
> author's needs and has not been modified or updated since.
> There was an Xserve Apache thing "ACGI Enabler" that appears to no
> longer be provided by Apple.
> There is nothing on the Apple site (that I could find) about running
> AppleScripts as a CGI.
> Sal's AppleScript book does not appear to have ACGI in the index so
> I'm guessing it is not covered.
> There used to be a message that AppleScript responded to (something
> like handle as CGI) and that was obsoleted in 2008 (according to the
> Apple AppleScript online docs).
> WebStar was bought by Kerio and was discontinued.
>
> The thing that started it all: MacHTTP appears to be available and
> appears runs under Classic on Tiger.
>
> My preference would be something that Apache would use to talk to
> AppleScripts, something like acgiDispatcher but in use by others and
> supported.
>
> Suggestions?

ACGI Enabler was only shipped with XServe/OS X server after 10.2 I
think. They disabled the portion of the desktop OS that could make use
of it.

I think Apple has left the cgi world to the more popular players like
Perl and PHP. In each you can call AS code with a little work.

Lloyd