LLTI Archives

July 2009, Week 4

From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Jul 2009 08:53:12 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Bob Majors <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #9191.1-8Audacity Sound Editing Program
>Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 08:41:09 -0700

Thanks for the links, Jeff, very useful.

I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir, but the other part of
the equation is the proper use of an audio recorder/editor. Things
like avoiding digital clipping above just about everything else.
Proper editing technique. Proper use of normalization, and better yet,
RMS normalization (to make all material of equal perceived loudness
while simultaneously increasing the gain (when needed). Similarly,
I've seen people debate subtle differences in high end mics, mic pre-
amps, even analog to digital converters, only to see things like gain
structure ignored (over or severely under loading the pre-amp, etc.),
or allowing the mic or stand to be bumped during recording. The need
for education in these areas will never go away.

Bob Majors
Language Learning Center
University of Washington