LLTI Archives

July 2009, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 21:59:26 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:51:43 -0400
>Subject: RE: #9194.3  (!) video streaming of films
>acceptlanguage: en-US

I would like to add to my earlier repressive comment that I am looking forward
to seeing the Digital Millenium act seriously revised at some point. I have been
following one of the requests for exemption (led by Gary Handman of Berkeley)
and it is fascinating to see how trivial the arguments against the kind of
practice Mark Kaiser describes (4-minute clips for targeted purposes in language
classes) are.

Part of the problem is that every library/school wants to get on the bandwagon
and stream their $30 library copies of videos to all their students/clients. The
line in the sand drawn by the industry is to protect their income from DVDs. And
it does make sense: if nobody profits from manufacturing DVDs, then nobody is
going to issue them....

I think that the industry needs to set up some kind of major clearinghouse for
rights. Right now many kinds of rights (esp. public performance) are bought up
by certain companies who charge a wide variety of fees for use; the result tends
to be that purchase of these rights, which is both onerous (just locating who
owns the rights) and expensive, is often ignored. There needs to be a different
definition of what is fair use and a different method from encryption to ensure
that, on the one hand, the industry gets its profit and, on the other, libraries
etc. are not crippled by fees for showing or streaming videos.

Judy Shoaf