LLTI Archives

July 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:31:37 -0400
(1) from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

> Is anyone using Audacity in either their classrooms or language labs?
> If so, what has been your experience (positive/negative)? For how
> long have you been using it? Any technical challenges?

We have used Audacity with a number of short courses and media
workshops.  It seems to perform fine from a technical standpoint.  On
the other hand, students seem to find it counter-intuitive.  During the
first several days of use, they close things that they wanted to keep
open, lose recordings that they want to save, and ask how to do
something multiple times.  Eventually, they get the hang of it.

We switched to Amadeus II, and most of those learning pains diminished
or disappeared.  It's cheap, but not free.  It has a fairly long free
trial, and runs on Mac only.  Our teachers felt like the change made
our media classes more effective, smoother, and more productive.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]

(2) from  "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]>

I'll be interested to see answers.

One group of professors swears by it because the students can use it at home for
free. Students are taught to use it early onm and they get quite competent with
it.

But in the lab we have a different recorder which is a little easier to use--you
can just save as mp3, whereas for Audacity you save as .wav and then convert it.
If students are going to record in the lab, we would rather they use our
recorder and not fuss with Audacity.

Judy Shoaf

(3) from   Jonathan Perkins <[log in to unmask]>

We've been using Audacity for a few years. While our experiences have been
generally positive, we have had a few problems with students not exporting
the files into the proper format (mp3) ... and thus causing their teachers
headaches.  We are trying to move classes to Wimba and/or VoiceBoard as
there is less room for user error.  We will continue to use Audacity for our
own work as it is extremely easy to use and is free.

Jon

(4)  from  [log in to unmask]

It's the simplest, free program to use. Most of the time it's really
good, however sometimes there is a problem while transferring to the PC
recordings created on the MAC- the sound might not be clear...

(5)  from  "Carly J. Born" <[log in to unmask]>

We've had Audacity installed on both faculty desktops and lab computers (across
campus) for a few years now.  It's always been a useful tool for basic recording
needs and not a bit challenge technically.

~~
Academic Technologies
http://apps.carleton.edu/campus/at/

Foreign Language Technology
http://go.carleton.edu/f

My Calendar: [log in to unmask]" target="_blank">https:[log in to unmask]

Carly J. Born
Academic Technologies
Carleton College | 507-222-7010 | [log in to unmask]

(6)  from  "Breeyear, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>

We use Audacity for both our language lab and our faculty at large--it's
an easy to learn, easy to use program and it's FREE!  How often does
that happen?!  We've had very positive responses to it, and teach it in
our faculty workshops.  Students also pick up on it very quickly.  Even
our high end users are thinking about dropping their Adobe software in
favor of Audacity for sound recording.

Regards,
Sue Breeyear, Asst. Director
Information Technology
Saint Michaels College
Colchester, VT 05439

(7) from ( [log in to unmask])

Hi,
we have been using it for about 4 years without any problems, and it
is part of the standard installs on all faculty/ta pcs and all 90 lab pcs.
Teachers use it to quickly record oral excercises to put on
BlackBoard or on our AV server.
Students in our phonetics classes use it to record exercises for submission.

Pro: Basic features are easy to use, and the export to mp3 is great.
Con: Many more features than needed for most of our uses, and users
need to be aware of how to  use the export to mp3 feature. (We had
some problems with people just sending the *.aud file).

We use audacity in conjunction with DL recorder which has the
advantage of the teacher/student tracks.

Wolfgang

(8) from  [log in to unmask]

Hi Tiffany,
We use (install, maintain) Audacity exclusively for students in our language
programs to take care of their recording needs.  We do this primarily because of
the price (free!) and the fact that it's cross-platform.  That way, the LRC
staff can put together mini-manuals or how-to's for a single product, with
minimal differentiation and training required.  We have found it to work well
for almost all our tasks.

However, I have also purchased some of the commercial audio editors, hoping to
get slightly better filtering options, but I have found even these options in
Audacity to be pretty good.

Best,
Norval Bard

(8) from  [log in to unmask]