LLTI Archives

July 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:36:43 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Vanchu, Anthony J. (JSC-AH)[BARRIOS TECHNOLOGY]"

>From: "Vanchu, Anthony J. (JSC-AH)[BARRIOS TECHNOLOGY]"
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Disposition-Notification-To: "Vanchu, Anthony J. (JSC-AH)[BARRIOS TECHNOLOGY]"
>Return-Receipt-To: <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:51:49 -0500
>Subject: RE: #9193 Russian questions
>acceptlanguage: en-US

For keyboard stickers, the best thing to do is to Google "Russian keyboard
stickers."  You'll get links to a number of vendors and you can shop around for
price and type (e.g., color).  They usually range in price from $12-$15 per set.
Many vendors give discounts for larger purchases.  If your institution has a
regular computer refresh policy (we do here), it might be worth buying extra
because when th old keyboard goes, so do the stickers--they're really not
reusable.

We've gotten keyboard stickers before from a company based in Ireland, since
they actually had the best prices and were reliable.  But we ordered some more
from them a month ago.  Unfortunately, we've yet to get them and they've not be
responsive to our inquiries, so we're probably going to buy them from Fingertip
Software, located in San Antonio (www.cyrillic.com).  BTW, Fingertip also makes
a product that will allow your faculty to prepare materials with stress marks
and allow for a number of different keyboard configurations (e.g., Russian
Standard, Student (homophonic), etc.)

I'm not really able to help with sending legible e-mails in Cyrillic, but I can
recommend that your faculty consult SEELANGS, a listserv for teachers of Slavic
and East European languages.  There are a lot of computer savvy subscribers who
can help out if you posed questions in that forum.  To join (it's free), go to
their website:  http://seelangs.home.comcast.net/~seelangs/

I believe there is also a way to search previous threads and you would most
likely be able to find something there that would help.

Hope this might help out some.  And if you'd like to contact me directly, please
don't hesitate.

Best,
Tony Vanchu

Dr. Anthony J. Vanchu