LLTI Archives

July 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 14:39:14 -0400
(2)   from [log in to unmask]

Don't placement tests have to be normed, i.e. the students at the institution
take the test at the end of the semester and their scores and grades are
compared, so that it can be determined what the right level is for a student
entering second semester, second year, etc.  That is, if students passing a
particular course level achieve a current score, that becomes the cut-off for
taking the next course level.
This was done here a long time ago when the switch to SAT II was made (in Latin
as well as a few other languages). Though SAT II is not a great test at all, it
has the advantage that some students will arrive as Freshmen with scores already
so they can be placed with no trouble.

Judy

(3)  from [log in to unmask]

The standard software for screen reading in English is JAWS (
http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/fs/jaws-product-page.asp).  We
have it installed on an instructor machine used heavily by a vision-impaired
GTA, but it is my understanding that it can be licensed to run only with a
USB key ... allowing you install it on every machine in your lab, so that
you don't have to set aside a special computer for the student to use.

I have never used it with a FL, but the website claims that it includes
voice synthesizers for American English, British English, Castilian Spanish,
Latin American Spanish, French, French Canadian, German, Italian, Brazilian
Portuguese, and Finnish.  My guess is that there must be some way to toggle
between languages.  The student may already be familiar with the software,
making the transition to a German voice not that big of a deal.

Jon

(4) from [log in to unmask]

Hi Sharon,

We have one blind student who uses the lab. We installed JAWS screen
reading software (Windows) for her.

http://www.freedomscientific.com/products/fs/jaws-product-page.asp

It was a single license purchased for her by our Office of Disability
Services. We installed it on a single lab computer and labeled that
computer "Priority for Visually Impaired".

On her initial visit to the lab we met with her so that she would know
which computer to use and the rest she did herself. We didn't know
anything about the software but it automatically starts up with the
OS. Once she got onto the keyboard she was familiar with the key
commands to get to the settings and windows she needed, and didn't
really need assistance after that.

Best,
Jose