LLTI Archives

July 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:56:59 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Sangeetha Gopalakrishnan" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Sangeetha Gopalakrishnan" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"
>Subject: RE: #9185 Supporting Blind FL Students
>Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 16:35:18 -0400

Hi Sharon,

I do not have much experience to talk about, but I do have one: A couple of
years ago we had a blind Spanish instructor for a basic level course. She
may have also been enrolled in a graduate program here, I don't remember.
She had software on her laptop that converted anything delivered in
electronic format to brail. So she was able to communicate with her students
via email. Also she administered all her chapter quizzes and exams via
Blackboard so she could read them. In fact, while some of her colleagues
still  have not entered the digital world and still use paper to deliver
content and do assessment she preferred to integrate technology in
instruction because it helped her. Whenever she used our computer lab to
administer the tests, she used her own laptop because it had all the
necessary software. If you like I can try and put you in touch with her so
you can ask her more about the adaptive technologies.

Let me know,
Sangeetha

Sangeetha Gopalakrishnan

Director