LLTI Archives

July 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:56:53 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Daniel Meyers <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Cc: [log in to unmask]
>From: Daniel Meyers <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #9185 Supporting Blind FL Students
>Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 23:11:15 -0400

Hi Sharon. We've used braille readers and computer readers in our lab
for blind students. In our case, the Office of Accessibility provided
the equipment for the duration of the student's needs, and when the
student was done with the courses, the equipment went back to
Accessibility. The Office of Accessibility also transferred his
workbook and textbook materials into braille for him so he could
complete assignments.

In many cases, the blind student may have his/her own personal braille
reader that can plug into a computer's USB port, and with access
software enabled in the operating system, the student then starts
surfing away in a browser.

====================================
Daniel E. Meyers
Interactive Language Resource Center
Austrian Summer Scholars Program
Irvin Hall 47
Miami University
Oxford, Ohio 45056
====================================

On Jul 7, 2009, at 21:42 , LLTI-Editor wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have been asked to find out how our LRC can support a blind incoming
> student who wants to continue his study of German.  We currently have
> no adaptive technology but are willing to acquire whatever might be
> useful.
>
> Do those of you with experience in this area have recommendations?
>
> Thank you,
> Sharon Scinicariello
> Director, Global Studio
> Department of Modern Literatures and Cultures
> University of Richmond, VA 23173

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.