LLTI Archives

June 2009, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 23 Jun 2009 20:19:01 -0400
(1)   from  "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]>

UF streamlined the placement exam process about 15 years ago and now gives only
the SAT II multiple-choice tests for Spanish, French, Latin, and German (as well
as Calculus, Chemistry, and English). Students pay $25 to take the test, which
is administered by the central testing service (now a part of Academic
Technology). If the student places into 2nd year level, that satisfies the
language requirement.

Some languages administer their own placement tests--I don't know if there is a
charge. Native speakers of a language not taught at UF can have the requirement
waived by means of an interview with a native speaker on the faculty.

Judy Shoaf

(2)   from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>

At Stony Brook University (SUNY) faculty and staff did this as
service to the Univ. and received no compensation.  Is that fair?
Questionable.  At Samford University, all such exams are outsourced
to Brigham Young.  Student pays the fee for those tests.

Best to you, Barbara.

Mike.

Mikle D. Ledgerwood, Ph.D.
Chair of World Languages and Cultures
Professor of French
Samford University

Adjunct graduate faculty in Technology and Education SUNY Stony Brook

IALLT President.

(3)  from  [log in to unmask]

Dear Barbara and others,
We have two responses to this situation, which, we too, face(d) often.

First, for any language we do not teach, students are 100% responsible for
arranging and paying for any testing fees.  We tell them it's bound to be much
cheaper than taking any of the six languages we do offer, if their goal is to
avoid taking language here.

Second, about 6-7  years ago, the language center converted all our existing
placement exams to a computerized format so that any one of us could administer
them (with the usual caveat of unusual cases being referred...).  That has
really reduced the demand on faculty time outside of "normal" hours.
Best,
Norval Bard

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.