LLTI Archives

June 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:27:54 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Margo Burns <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:13:58 -0400
>Subject: Re: #9170 Best PC's for language labs
>From: Margo Burns <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

>> From: "Vance, Jason" <[log in to unmask]>
>> Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:58:35 -0400

> What brand of PC's are being used in your language labs. I know some places
> are using Macs. There is nothing with utilizing macs in language lab, but we
are
> reviewing lab systems that are PC based.

You have been given incorrect information that there is "nothing" that runs
directly on Macs (vs. having to run Parallels, BootCamp or VMWare or
something else to run Windows software on Apple Intel hardware.)

There is the Java-based LangLab for multiple platforms including the Mac
(http://www.elanglab.com/) and Northwestern's DiLL, that was designed
specifically & exclusively for the Mac
(http://web.mmlc.northwestern.edu/projects/DiLL.shtml).

Both products run on our 4-year-old PowerPC (non-Intel) G5s with 512MB of
RAM, as well as on our newer Intel Macs, a feature that is very helpful with
tight budgets.

Cheers,
Margo

--