LLTI Archives

June 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:27:36 -0400
Greetings!

Here in the Hamilton LC, we're working on many things to improve the
speed and resources available to students and faculty.

The main project currently under construction is more fully utilizing
the new XServe that we purchased last summer. Up until now it's duties
have been to stream video & audio using "Mojo" file sharing software,
as well as video compression & dvd authoring.

Currently, I feel this isn't using the XServe to it's full potential.
With Two dual core processors, 3TB of space, and 8GB of ram - I'm sure
of it. I'm hoping that this email might spark some interest and that
also any replies might have ideas of what we could also do to
accomplish our goal.

Which is why I'm undertaking a more large scale project with it -
turning it from a simple media server into a more complete solution.

Here's the goal:

Mac OS X has "Automator". Using that and coupling it with Visual Hub
and Mahara (or the built in Wiki/Blog Software) I intend to build a
workflow for the students that will accomplish the following goal:

Step 1: Students make a video project. When they've completed the
project, they dray the final video to a shortcut folder on the desktop.

Step 2: The file is moved to the server, where automator sees it and
sends it to Visual Hub for compression.

Step 3: Visual Hub completes the compression, and exports the video to
a folder.

Step 4: Automator sees the file and posts it (using the username on
the file) to the student's blog on the server.

Step 5: An email is generated and sent to the student's professor
telling them of the post.

So far it's been interesting getting things working like this.
Currently I'm evaluating different Wiki/Blog software. Wordpress,
Blogger, Mahara, Moodle, are just the start.

I believe it's possible to make this also work cross-platform. We are
a dual boot lab. We have 20 iMac's running OS 10.5 and also Windows
Vista SP1.

If anyone has any ideas or pointers, please let me know!

Jeremiah Spoon
Language Center Coordinator/Technologist
Voice: 315.859.4792  Data: [log in to unmask]
www.Hamilton.edu/LanguageCenter

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.