LLTI Archives

June 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 2009 21:13:29 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Shoaf,Judith P" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum
>Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:28:45 -0400
>Subject: RE: #9170.2 (!) Best PC's for language labs
>acceptlanguage: en-US

This is not the reply requested, but--when we had money to replace the PCs in
2006, we began with quotes from Gateway but ended up going with Dell. The prices
were better with Dell. However, the factor that motivated the tech folks to get
the Dell quotes was, I believe, the expectation of contractual support. In our
discussions, the tech crew noted that some years Gateway did better in this
area, sometimes Dell.

Part of this support had to do with consistency of product. We wanted a
guarantee that an order of 30 computers with the same specs would give us 30
completely identical computers, not 30 computers that met the specs but had a
variety of parts and chips which might behave a little bit differently. We had
struggled earlier to have a consistent build on a roomful of computers which
accepted the build in slightly different ways.

Another point to consider is the range of sizes now in computers. You might
choose a model based on where the boxes will sit (floor, existing cradle,
special cradle, desktop). We ended up with small but not miniature Dells (GX620)
which could function either as desktop or tower. The only problem was that our
Sanako system with video distribution required Hauppauge video cards, and it was
not easy to find the ones that fit the small boxes, or the drivers for them.

We got a 5-year warranty on the Dells and so far (3 years from shipment) they
are fine, except for a few monitors that failed the first year.

Judy Shoaf

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.