LLTI Archives

June 2009, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:57:01 -0400
(my apologies for this 'mishap" - as Derak calls it! ---Otmar)

Due, presumably, to a cut and paste mishap, my answer didn't appear in
the response summary for this thread, although answer (3) appeared
twice, the second time with my name attached to it.  To avoid repeating
the other information provided, I will modify my answer slightly, and
add more detail.

Most Y-splitters are intended to divide an output, such as splitting
the headphone output of a computer into two signals to drive two sets
of headphones.  Putting two headphones in parallel like this cuts the
resistance in half, and can cause a problem.  But it rarely does, in my
experience, with modern light-weight headphones connected to computers
or consumer AV devices.

If the same Y-splitter is used to connect two microphones into one
microphone input, other problems can arise.  This kind of splitter
connects the output of the microphones to each other, as well as to the
computer.  As mentioned, electricity is metaphorically blind, and so
the output from one microphone will try to flow through the other
microphone (turning it into a speaker, for some microphone designs).
If one student is speaking, while the other is silent, the signal
strength is divided, but the sound may be OK.  If both are speaking,
the microphones are fighting each other, and distortion or interference
is possible.  The success rate depends on the specific microphones
used.  It sounds like this has worked for several other people on this
list.

I prefer to use a different kind of Y-adapter for microphones.  This
adapter accepts two mono microphone jacks as input, and passes them to
the computer as a stereo signal, without mixing or combining the
microphones electrically.  One microphone comes into the computer as
the left channel of the stereo signal, and the other as the right
channel.  This allows discreet adjustment or editing of the sound from
each student, such as boosting the volume level from a student who
speaks more softly than the other.  For anyone listening to the audio,
having one student on the left channel, and one on the right, helps the
listener keep track of who is talking at a given instant, and gives a
sense of space to the recording.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center