LLTI Archives

May 2009, Week 5

From:
Date:
Sun, 31 May 2009 19:58:02 -0400
(1)   from   [log in to unmask]

Hi Joseph,

I just use Audacity with 2 cheap headsets plugged into a 3.5 audio splitter
into the mike jack. Works for us. If you want both to hear the output, you
need a splitter for the headphones, too.

However, I just got new usb headsets and Audacity only recognizes one USB.
Doesn't work with a splitter. I'm researching a solution.

Dana

(2)   from [log in to unmask]

Joseph, here is an LLTI thread from 2008 about the sans duobox. It works (well)
for us as explained below, just 2 mikes only per PC  though:
http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0801E&L=LLTI&P=63

Edith Paillat
Language Learning Technologist
Victoria University of Wellington
http://www.victoria.ac.nz/llc/about/projects.aspx

(3)   from   [log in to unmask]

Hi Joeseph,

We use a y-adapter, one for the mic and one for the headset when we
need to double the audio in and out.  This comes handy when a class
has too many Skype partners and 2 of our students "share" 1 student
at the other end.  It's low tech, but it works. I believe Audacity
would also pick up the mic-in from both as does Skype.  This is an
analog solution.  If you have 2 USB mics, then I can't help.

Regards.
Olaf, Creighton U.

(3)   from Janet Banhidi <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Joseph,

I do not have the name of the software you mention, but I do know of an
easy solution.  You can use Y-splitters (or multi taps) to connect two
headsets to one PC.  The splitters effectively double the number of mic and
audio jacks you can plug into the computer.  The splitters are inexpensive
(about $2.50). Hope this helps.

Janet Banhidi

(4)    from   Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]

Hi Joseph,

I do not have the name of the software you mention, but I do know of an
easy solution.  You can use Y-splitters (or multi taps) to connect two
headsets to one PC.  The splitters effectively double the number of mic and
audio jacks you can plug into the computer.  The splitters are inexpensive
(about $2.50). Hope this helps.

Derek

(5)   from  Jonathan" <[log in to unmask]>

I can't find a link to give you, but I believe that you are talking
about the Duo box sold by Sans Inc. It gives you two analog inputs and
plugs into the computer via USB. The price as I recall is about $150.

Jon

(6)    from  [log in to unmask]

Joseph,

Remember that electricity is essentially blind when it comes to
distinguishing between sound in or sound out, so a dual headphone
adapter plugged into "mic in" will often work just fine to accomplish
what you are trying to do. Similarly, a headphone speaker can
"usually" be repurposed as a crude microphone. Just for fun, I just
plugged my earbuds into the "mic in" jack and recorded a brief message
using Audacity. Low levels, but it worked!

You should be able to find the dual headphone adapter for under $5 at
RadioShack.

Cheers,
Anthony

Teaching