LLTI Archives

May 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 19:48:32 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Mike Ledgerwood <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #9154 Native Speakers in foreign Languages
>Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 19:12:59 -0500
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

ADFL has a listserv for FL chairs.  You would have to join ADFL, but
I think all FL chairs should belong to that group.  It is a good one
and I belong to it.   http://www.adfl.org.

As for the native speaker question, this is much harder.  It is best
to try to use placement and proficiency tests and scores to move them
into the proper level where they're not so bored.  However, if they
are not literate in their native language, that is, again, hard. One
special course for them to help them achieve literacy, even if it has
a small number, really helps.   Then, they can often do well in the
more advanced courses.

Good luck with this!

Mike Ledgerwood

(Chair of World Languages and Cultures, Samford University)
IALLT President-Elect.