LLTI Archives

May 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 19:49:43 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: John de Szendeffy <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #9146 Advice on dual-boot Mac labs
>Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:03:10 -0400

Hi Derek,

We have four Mac labs, and the most recent one we updated (from PCs)
with Minis running Leopard and XP under VMware. We run Macintosh
Manager for document/preference storage but authenticate against BU's
Active Directory 2 server. It works extremely well and students are
amazed by the choice.

I would suggest using VMware for many reasons:

1. You have instant toggling between the two OSes with no wait to
reboot.
2. You can treat the HD as one volume for reimaging over a network.
3. You can share documents between the two OSes through one shared
folder set up in Windows (and aliased on the Mac).
4. Windows acts as a single file within the Mac OS volume, whereas
under Dual Boot, there are two volumes, both of which are visible on
the Mac side (though not vice versa, which is why document sharing
doesn't work under DB).
5. Peripherals, networking are set up and controlled by only one OS
but available to both.
6. Drivers are managed by VM instead of separately installed under
Windows and Mac.
7. The educational license for VM is only $40.

Two downsides:

1. You will need lots of RAM with VM if you don't want to take a
performance hit. But RAM's cheap these days.
2. Since Windows isn't running native, it could be slightly slower,
but, honestly, with typical web and MS Office work, we haven't noticed
any difference on Mac Minis running 2.0 Ghz with 1GB RAM (which we'll
upgrade on principle).

I'm curious what the reasons are out there for wanting to run Vista
instead of XP. I wouldn't want to compare Windows to vintage wine, but
no MS product, especially Windows, should be consumed before aging, at
least through a couple SPs, and Vista is the most downgraded OS in
history. Mes deux centimes.

Cheers,

-John
John de Szendeffy
Director of Educational Technology
Center for English Language and Orientation Programs
Lecturer, School of Education
Boston University
890 Commonwealth Ave., 2nd floor
Boston, MA 02215  USA
ph   617.353.7957
http://www.bu.edu/celop
http://people.bu.edu/johndesz

"A Practical Guide to Using Computers in Language Teaching"
http://www.press.umich.edu/titleDetailDesc.do?id=97662

"For Here or to Go: An ESL Reader"
http://www.press.umich.edu:80/titleDetailDesc.do?id=8629

On May 12, 2009, at 8:02 PM, Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We are getting ready to set up one of our Macintosh Labs with the
> option to boot either into the Mac OS or into Windows.  I know that a
> number of you are running dual-boot systems of this sort, and I would
> like to learn some of the tricks and pitfalls before we jump in.  We
> are not planning to run Parallels or VMware Fusion.  We could choose
> either Windows Vista or XP.
>
> I will be grateful for any postings, or opportunities for offlist
> discussions or phone calls.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Derek
>
> Derek Roff