LLTI Archives

May 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 20:18:45 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Greg Russak <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Mon, 11 May 2009 16:18:16 -0400
>From: Greg Russak <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 2nd Life and Language Labs
>To: [log in to unmask]
>cc: Greg Russak <[log in to unmask]>

The following was originally posted on the ILR listserv on May 3.  When I
replied to the author telling him about all the great work on language learning
being done by academics in Second Life, he asked me to share his post.
Please feel free to respond to him directly at [log in to unmask]

Apologies for any cross-postings.

Thanks,
Greg Russak, VP Sales
OWL Testing Software
1-877-695-3395, x101
www.owlts.com

<begin copied post>

I would like to pose a question to the members of the ILR list. My
question relates to the use of Second Life for use in teaching foreign
languages. I am familiar with two Second Life platforms for teaching
and learning English, but I have not found any devoted to teaching
Chinese, Arabic, or even French or German.

Do any agencies in the USG use Second Life for language instruction?
Are any agencies researching the possibility of using Second Life for
language instruction?

Links to videos promoting the two English learning sites I mention above
follow:
http://www.youtube.com/user/languagelabdotcom?gl=AU&hl=en-GB
<blockedhttp://www.youtube.com/user/languagelabdotcom?gl=AU&hl=en-GB>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-
GB&v=P4UuQUHvQ8A&feature=channe
l_page
<blockedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-
GB&v=P4UuQUHvQ8A&featur
e=channel_page>

Melvin Hall
Program Officer
National Security Language Initiative (NSLI)
Youth Programs Division
Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA)
U.S. Department of State
Tel: 202-453-8152
Fax: 202-453-8169

Teaching