LLTI Archives

April 2009, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:43:35 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from Gavin Ng <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Thu, 30 Apr 2009 03:10:33 -0400
>From: Gavin Ng <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #9123 American Sign Language stored video
>To: [log in to unmask]
>cc: Gavin Ng <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Lillie,

I don$E2t have a simple answer using your current technology.  But if you$E2re
looking for a superior solution for Sign Language learning and course
management, you should take a look at our software system WebSwami, which
integrates webcam capture across the internet.

I guess one of the main advantages for you is that neither the instructor
nor any of the students would need to deal with specific files or file
conversion ever again - all the videos are seamlessly handled by WebSwami.
The system allows:

	- One-click Webcam recording via any browser on any operating system
	- Instructors to access student recordings from anywhere on the internet
	- Students to submit video assignments from home without even visiting the
campus
	- Instructors to leave video messages linked to specific student recordings
	- Highly compressed storage of video and voice (around 1-1.5MB per min)
	- High frame-rate recordings (20-25 frames per second)
	- Simultaneous recording for up to hundreds of students with full video capture
	- Real-time test management, with video instruction, many video-integrated
activities and export grades to Excel functionality

As well as the above benefits which answer your immediate needs, WebSwami
fully integrates with the leading LMS Moodle and works with Blackboard,
WebCT etc.  WebSwami also offers 8 activity types which allow instructors to
record / upload video directly for engaging learning content, 4 of which
allow students to record video for sign-language practice and conversation
simulation.

Lillie, I think with your requirement as described, and WebSwami$E2s potential
application for the rest of your language teaching, it would be well worth
you taking a look at a demo.  Please contact me at [log in to unmask] or
visit our website at http://www.webswami.com/webswami-video-tour.html for
more information.

Here$E2s some other information you might find useful for the rest of your
language faculty:

WebSwami is world$E2s first language teaching system of its kind to integrate
direct webcam recording for course development, online activities and
instructor feedback all at CD quality. It's also the first online system to
include a pitch measuring spectrograph (rhythm & stress included too), to
greatly improve the pronunciation of any language.  Other features include
many easy-to-create interactive activities, including unique video-to-video
matching and real-time conversation simulations.

Kind regards,

Gavin Ng
Lead Developer & Designer, WebSwami
www.webswami.com

$E3Breaking the Barriers in Language & Distance Learning$E4

>Subject: American Sign Language stored video
>acceptlanguage: en-US

Hello,
I have an American Sign Language testing problem. Students must burn their
visual exams to CD due to the large file size (over 40 megs). Files are too
large to FTP or email to their professor. With over 20 students in some ASL
classes, students often backup waiting to burn CD's. I am looking for
alternative methods of storing these large files so that the professor can
access them outside of class time. Any suggestions to streamline this process
are appreciated.

Lillie Busby
Technology and Languages Lab Coordinator
Department of Foreign Languages
Sam Houston State University
Academic Building IV, 312
936-294-3590