LLTI Archives

April 2009, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 20:11:02 -0400
--- Forwarded Message from "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #913.1 (!) 1 financial issues
>Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:43:43 -0400
>From: "Ross, Andrew" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

Dear List:

With all respect to TBob, who's an amazing advocate for all things CALL
and IALLT, I'd suggest two things if we plan on responding to budget
cuts and their impact on programs -- one, that we use data that support
our arguments effectively and two, that we ask IALLT to issue a
statement on both language learning and its support that we can point
our campus leadership to, if this hasn't yet happened.

The links below are pretty variable in terms of situation -- from
possible, maybe budget cuts in strapped K-12 communities to global
prognostications to a student's letter to the Brown Daily Herald that
manages to misinterpret pretty completely the situation with Brown's ASL
program.  We had, back in the day, a pretty untenable program that we'd
have had trouble explaining to an accreditation board.  We have now a
smaller but pretty robust program that's in no danger of collapse.
Discussions around this situation were primarily on program quality, not
dollars.

So how about it, IALLT Board?  A statement of support for language
learning and CALL in these parlous times?

Best,

a.
--- Forwarded Message from "Bob Peckham" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #9131 financial issues
>Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:50:28 -0500
>From: "Bob Peckham" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

This is not by by means a complete list, but these cuts are occurring
all over
the country. We were able to fight off the proposal that we cut both
Spanish and
French programs at our institution. We made a successful
counter-proposal and I
resigned my position as lab director to teach Full-time French,
beginning this
Fall.  Here are the links:

European-Language Programs Face Cuts
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/on-education/2008/6/5/european-language-prog
rams-fac
e-cuts.html

University's rationale for cutting ASL funding is unfounded and
insulting
http://media.www.browndailyherald.com/media/storage/paper472/news/2005/0
4/19/Let
ters/Universitys.Rationale.For.Cutting.Asl.Funding.Is.Unfounded.And.Insu
lting-92
9500.shtml

Oregon State University Foreign Language Dept. and budget cuts
http://ericstoller.com/blog/2008/05/29/osu-foreign-language-dept-budget-
cuts/

OSU forces foreign language cuts
http://media.barometer.orst.edu/media/storage/paper854/news/2008/05/27/N
ews/Osu-
Forces.Foreign.Language.Cuts-3376268.shtml

Budget cuts limit recruitment
http://www.alligator.org/articles/2009/01/28/opinion/letters_to_the_edit
or/09012
8_let1.txt

University of Florida
http://www.president.ufl.edu/budget-reduction/budget-reduction-proposal.
pdf

Eastern Washington University$E2s turn: what deep budget cuts would
mean$B7
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/olympia/2009/feb/11/eastern-washington-un
iversity
s-turn-what-deep-budget-cuts-would-mean/

Foreign languages take hit in higher-ed budget
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/education/2008851722_languages13m.
html

Middle Tennessee State University could cut 48 majors
http://www.scribd.com/doc/12931065/Middle-Tennessee-State-University-cou
ld-cut-4
8-majors

Students and faculty petition against budget cuts (Tennessee Journalist)
http://tnjn.com/2008/dec/23/students-and-faculty-petition-/

University of Florida
http://www.president.ufl.edu/budget-reduction/budget-reduction-proposal.
pdf

Amhert MA: Cutting FL programsuh...except Chinese
http://www.amherstbulletin.com/story/id/130953/

UCB Humanities Budget Cuts
http://petition.berkeley.edu/

New Canaan School Budget Cuts
http://newcanaanblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/new-canaan-schools.html

CLAS faculty fear implications of budget cuts (Univ. of Connecticut)
http://media.www.dailycampus.com/media/storage/paper340/news/2008/09/09/
News/Cla
s-Faculty.Fear.Implications.Of.Budget.Cuts-3421244.shtml

Cuts mean new way to meet language requirement
http://dailyuw.com/2009/2/17/cuts-mean-new-way-meet-language-requirement
/

School chief offers budget cuts
http://www.wickedlocal.com/stow/archive/x521228125/School-chief-offers-b
udget-cu
ts

teacher education in foreign languages (MAT) for Idaho.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29411604/

Residents speak out against school budget cuts
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/02/07/news/valley/b8-debudget6.t
xt

Tucson students no longer need 2nd language class
http://www.azfamily.com/family/education/top/stories/tucson-education-ne
ws-12110
8-foreign-language.52c0aade.html

In Tough Times, the Humanities Must Justify Their Worth
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/books/25human.html?_r=2&scp=1&sq=patri
cia%20co
hen%20humanities&st=cse

Let's Not Cry for the Humanities -- Yet
http://chronicle.com/review/brainstorm/katz/lets-not-cry-for-the-humanit
ies-yet

Cutbacks Threaten College Experience
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123561477318778281.html?mod=googlenews_w
sj

Program Cuts Northern Arizona University
http://www4.nau.edu/president/budgetshare/budgetsharePROGRAM.htm

Derby students urge no teacher cuts
http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/02/17/news/valley/b1-destudentbu
dget.txt

UA plans to trim offerings from Education College
http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/282038

School district faces difficult budget choices
http://www.eastoregonian.info/main.asp?SectionID=13&SubSectionID=48&Arti
cleID=90
035&TM=63766.55

Schools Face Tough Budget for 2009
http://insidemedford.com/2008/06/24/schools-face-tough-budget-for-2009/

Leaders Prepare Budget Cuts to Eliminate $650 Million Shortfall
(washington
Post)
http://mobile.washingtonpost.com/detail.jsp?key=353316&rc=&p=1&all=1

Officials consider cutting language, ag programs
http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2008/10/21/officials-consider-cutting-la
nguage-a
g-programs/

Don't cut program in foreign languages (Illinois)
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/02/12/opinion/letters/135348.txt

Oregon State U. to Cut Italian and Other Language Programs
http://chronicle.com/news/article/4602/oregon-state-u-to-cut-italian-and
-other-l
anguage-programs

Proposed language program may be cut or shelved
http://www.meadvilletribune.com/local/local_story_076234405.html

Rhode Island
http://www2.sec.state.ri.us/omfiling/pdffiles/minutes/4692/2008/10536.pd

Massachusetts
http://
www.brookline.k12.ma.us/NR/rdonlyres/95811EE0-CFAE-4F32-87B7-FC6BE1B6360
0/2234/R
ECORD0214092.pdf

Georgia Regents Cut 12 Majors
http://www.usnews.com/blogs/paper-trail/2009/03/18/georgia-regents-cut-1
2-majors
.html

TBob

Robert D. Peckham, Ph.D
Professor of French
Chair, AATF Commission on Advocacy
Director, Muriel Tomlinson Language Resource Center
Director, Globe-Gate Intercultural Web Project
Director, Andy Holt Virtual Library
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Univ. of Tennessee at Martin / Martin TN 38238
Email: [log in to unmask]