LLTI Archives

April 2009, Week 4

From:
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2009 20:11:00 -0400
(1) from   [log in to unmask]
--
I purchased a Canon ZR850 camcorder for the faculty. It has all the features you
asked about, and the video is decent (but not high quality). So far, the faculty
have been happy with it.

Lillie Busby
Technology and Languages Lab Coordinator
Department of Foreign Languages
Sam Houston State University
Academic Building IV, 312
936-294-3590

(2) from [log in to unmask]

> 1. Straight to Web recording format
> 2. Ability to power from an external outlet
> 3. Removable SD card for extended recording
> 4. Microphone input

Jon:

We have not bought them, but we have strong recommendations from Yale's DMCA
(http://www.yale.edu/dmca/) for the Panasonic HDC-SD100K. Records in HD,
SD/SDHC recording (only), microphone and headphone jacks, AC adapter.
Depending on what you mean by #1, it may not match up there. And it may not
match up with your budget either. That said, it's a pretty impressive camera
for a lower cost than it should be (since for some reason, B&H is selling it
for $540 [http://tinyurl.com/anvazo] while others like J&R have it at $850
[http://www.jr.com/panasonic/pe/PAN_HDCSD100K/]).

Best,
Trip

--
Trip Kirkpatrick
Manager, Technology and Project Development

(3) from  [log in to unmask]

You need to look at the slightly bigger from factor from Samsung,
Sony, JVC, Canon and others.

HD units doing everything you list including automatic Flash Video
start at $349. I am buying a bunch of Samsung ones.

--- Ed Garay   www.accc.uic.edu/itl/blog
      Assistant Director for Academic Computing
      University of Illinois at Chicago - ACCC
      www.accc.uic.edu/itl

      Learn something new today at Lynda.com
            www.accc.uic.edu/training.html

  [sent from an iPod touch]

(4) from [log in to unmask]

this may not be up to all the criteria mentioned above either, but I have been
using a VADO HD pocket camcorder about the size of a cigarette pack, and I am
absolute amazed about the quality of the video and sound and the ease of
operation. Unfortunately, only wide-angle recordings are really good - the tele
setting appears to be a digital and is not very useful.

Otmar Foelsche