LLTI Archives

April 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:56:41 -0400
--- Forwarded message from <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 1:29:43 -0400
>From: <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #9119.1 (!) Teaching Languages?
>Cc: LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]>

I would highly recommend the upcoming ILLT publication-- Task-Based III. It
will be published next month in time for the IALLT conference. Included in this
volume is a range of activities that are communicative, contemporary, utilize
web-based resources, are student-centered and INTERESTING for studnets to do.

The volume opens with a piece that would be particularly useful for your
proposed class by Carolin Fuchs at Columbia Teacher's College. It presents
strategies that her methodology students emplotyed to re-purpose activities
from the texts that they used or selected to make them more meaningful (with
all the other adjectives above). And of course, it presents the activities
themselves.

This volume provides not just activty descriptions (useful in themselves), but
also the settings, rationales and theoretical underpinnings for many of these,
which would also serve for methodological discussions in your class.

We do have a workshop derived from the activities of this volume at the IALLT
confernece next week, as well as a regualr session for anyone else interested.

LeeAnn