MACSCRPT Archives

March 2009

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
"Mark J. Reed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:20:17 -0400
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> But even if you get all the first-three-digit ranges right, it still
> won't work in all cases, because the first three digits are not enough
> in general to uniquely identify a state.  Thirty-eight of those ranges
> have ZIP codes in more than one state (e.g.  993xx in both Oregon and
> Washington, 376xx in both Tennessee and Virginia, etc).

In fact, 99362 and 37642 both cross state lines.  All together there are 42
five-digit ZIP codes that do likewise.

You'd think with only 50 states and 100,000 ZIP codes they wouldn't have had
to do that. :\

But I guess it was geographically convenient to group certain areas into a
single post office regardless of where the imaginary lines fell on the map.

--
Mark J. Reed <[log in to unmask]>