MACSCRPT Archives

March 2009

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Joshua See <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:48:16 -0500
On Mar 20, 2009, at 5:35 PM, David Livesay wrote:
> And did you look up the names of those cities?
>
> 027HH is historic No City Massachusetts; 028HH is quaint little No
> City Rhode Island; 030HH is scenic No City, New Hampshire; 040HH is
> rustic No City Maine...
>
> Get the picture?
>
> I don't know why they do it, but for some reason they assign these
> ZIPs to bodies of water. Nobody lives there.
Its done because those are ZCTAs rather than ZIP codes. ZCTAs are a
superset of codes based on ZIP codes used when you need ZIP codes for
something other than routing mail. The alphanumeric versions crop up
in areas with no people or too few to merit a ZIP code. HH is (or
should be) specific to bodies of water. If this db contains actual
mailing addresses, the ZCTAs can safely be omitted.
--
Sincerely,
Joshua See