LLTI Archives

February 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:37:59 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Tina Deveny Oestreich" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Tina Deveny Oestreich" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum'"
>Subject: dual assignments: managing a lab and teaching
>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:20:58 -0500

Dear all,

I realize there have been many threads here lately about degrees that we
have, what we do etc., but I don't remember anyone asking if we teach and
manage a lab. I have seen several postings over the last year for positions
that required some language teaching along with managing a lab. I am curious
to know how common it is for lab managers to also teach language courses.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a 100% staff position as language
lab manager with no teaching assignment. I have been asked to teach a couple
of classes in the fall due to faculty leaves. It seems that some of my
superiors are nervous about this arrangement and how much time it might take
away from my language lab duties. I thought it might be a good idea to
gather examples of others who are teaching and managing a lab (or are
instructional designers) so that I can let them know that this is actually
quite common.

So...if you are an instructional designer or language lab manager or have
some other staff position and also teach language courses (as a faculty
member or staff member), please write me back and let me know what
percentage of your time is spent teaching, what your title is, etc. I think
that having examples of these arrangements would be very beneficial to me.

Thank you,
Tina

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.