LLTI Archives

February 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:30:12 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Felix Kronenberg <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:58:46 -0800
>Subject: Re: #9060 Number of Skype Participants
>From: Felix Kronenberg <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum

Hi Debra,

Only 2 people can use the video option with skype simultaneously.
As for as "free"solutions go, altenatives include, you might try ooVoo,
Tokbox, or Flashmeeting.

http://www.oovoo.com/
http://www.tokbox.com
http://flashmeeting.open.ac.uk/home.html

On a Mac, the excellent iChat AV supports up to 4 simultaneous video
participants.

There are also several good commercial systems available, such as Adobe
Connect Pro, Marratech, or Elluminate.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobatconnectpro/
http://www.marratech.com/
http://elluminate.com/

Elluminate offers free 3-person rooms. They charge for accounts that support
more users.

I hope this helps a bit, there are more solutions out there, but this is
what I could come up with in 2 minutes. Feel free to contact me directly via
e-mail.

Best, Felix

--
Felix Kronenberg
Asst. Professor of German

Mason Hall 107
Pomona College
phone: (909) 621 - 8620

On 2/5/09 10:39 AM, "LLTI-Editor" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi-
>
> How many people can video conference on Skype simultaneously?  This was
> not clear from their website. Any other free or low-cost  reliable models
> you would recommend?
>
> Sorry if I've missed other chats about this.
>
> Debra
>
> Debra H. Mandel,
> Head, Digital Media Design Studio
> Northeastern University Libraries
> 360 Huntington Ave.
> 200 SL
> Boston, MA  02115

This message has been scanned by Postini anti-virus software.

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.