LLTI Archives

February 2009, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:40:28 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:00:45 -0700
>From: Derek Roff <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #90531-3 (!) Student Lab Fees

We have a lab fee of $10 per student per selected language class.  The
language classes are selected based on historical use of the Language
Learning Center resources.  For the most part, this means that lower
division classes pay the fee, and others don't.  However, a few of the
teachers have opted out, on a long-term basis, and their classes don't
pay the fee.  And some upper division classes use the labs frequently,
but they haven't yet gotten into the system to be charged the fee.
It's silly, but that is what happens here.

I agree with Trip.  I don't like the inconsistency of the lab fee
system, and I don't think it is a proper way of funding student
services.  But it is the way things are done on this campus.  Without
it, we wouldn't have a lab.  The lab fee pays for all of the equipment,
software and other learning materials, such as videos.  It doesn't pay
for any salaries, utilities, or other more traditional infrastructure
costs.

Derek

Derek Roff
Language Learning Center
Ortega Hall 129, MSC03-2100
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
505/277-7368, fax 505/277-3885
Internet: [log in to unmask]

--On Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:36 PM -0500 LLTI-Editor

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.