MACSCRPT Archives

February 2009

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
Ryan Wilcox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:13:08 -0500
On Feb 5, 2009, at 2:57 PM, Mark J. Reed wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Christian Huldt
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Any comments on
>
> Every time you do a concatenation AS builds a new list from scratch.
> Set end just modifies the existing list in place.  Seems pretty
> straightforward.

I believed the second one would be much faster than the first as well,
Mark, but the results from my machine prove differently:

{4.0, 281.0}

I wasn't expecting the first version(the string version) to win out
over the list one either.

I'm not sure why, and I'm not even sure my article in MacTech on the
subject or variable types in AppleScript can explain why either:
<http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.22/22.03/AdvAppleScript/index.html

So I'm puzzled too...
_Ryan Wilcox