LLTI Archives

January 2009, Week 5

From:
Date:
Sat, 31 Jan 2009 10:19:50 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Julie Johnson" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 11:11:52 -0800
>Subject: Re: #9050 CALL-supported courses on simultaneous interpretation?
>To: "Francoise  Sorgen-Goldschmidt" <[log in to unmask]>
>Cc: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>From: "Julie Johnson" <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Nina and Francoise,

Yes, a lot is going on at the Monterey Institute regarding computer
assisted language learning (see blurb:
http://www.pomme.ualberta.ca/worldcall/english/exhibitor-miis.htm). But
that is much more in connection with the TESOL and other programs under
the Graduate School of Languages and Educational Linguistics. In the
Graduate School of Translation and Intepretation, we are not focused on
language learning, per se (our students are already fluent in their
foreign languages), but we do use technology A LOT for digital video and
audio source material for interpretation practice in and out of the
classroom, and also for recording, review and assessment of student
interpretation performances. (Note: these two graduage schools within the
Monterey Institute are in the process of merging into one: Graduate School
of Translation Interpretation and Language Education, GSTILE)

If any of this relates to your questions or interests in CALL, I'd be
happy to talk with you further.

Sincerely,
Julie
Julie E. Johnson
French Program Head
Graduate School of Translation & Interpretation
Monterey Institute of International Studies
831-647-3089 (Wednesday through Friday)
Office: McCone 123

Francoise Sorgen-Goldschmidt <[log in to unmask]> on Wednesday, January

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.