LLTI Archives

January 2009, Week 5

From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:24:17 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from thomas plagwitz <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:56:45 -0500
>From: thomas plagwitz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: #9050 CALL-supported courses on simultaneous interpretation?
>To: [log in to unmask]
>cc: thomas plagwitz <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Nina,

At Aston University, I used a Sanako language lab for *consecutive*
interpreting exercises and exams. http://plagwitz1.spaces.live.com/,
folder "Sanako Lab", has a video clip of such an exam, with screen sharing for
monitoring students' note taking, on top of the more standard teacher-
student audio connections of the lab software.

At London Metropolitan University, we teach both simultaneous and
consecutive interpreting in an industry-standard conferencing interpretation
facility by Danish Interpreting Systems, which has for teaching and learning
some (loosely) integrated PCs and analog AV add-ons (photos of the facilities
at http://plagwitz1.spaces.live.com/, folder "Interpreting Suite").

Here, we hold mock conferences for simultaneous interpreting. I have begun
digitizing their analog output and creating a simple e-repository of learning
materials which can be tagged for reuse, and personalized (time-stretching
etc.).

I am also currently researching how we can get more of the capabilities of
language lab/classroom management software into these facilities. A name
which seems to figure prominently in this context is the ETI in Geneva which
has a reference installation from Artec. A video recording (cut into 50MB
segments, due to an MS-Skydrive restriction) of the information received
during a visit to Artecis booth at BETT London earlier this month is at
http://plagwitz1.spaces.live.com/, folder "bett2009".

I would also love to hear from others, who use CALL in interpreting programs.

--
Dr. Thomas Plagwitz
Language Lab Services Manager

Teaching