LLTI Archives

January 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:09:39 -0500
From:         Irene Starr <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: #9033 Degrees
To:           [log in to unmask]
cc:           Irene Starr <[log in to unmask]>

My studies included an MA in physics which I taught for several years at =
the=20
early college level. Meanwhile I had discovered the local public access c=
able=20
channel as a place where my young sons could be involved in making tv=20
instead of just watching it. I became an active volunteer, learning video=
=20
production and media management and revitalizing the small station which =
led=20
to a career change when I took a position at UMass for two years heading =
the=20
student tv station.=20

In the 1980's, while studying for an MEd in educational media, one of my=20=

professors passed on a local, academic newsletter. The only item of inter=
est=20
to me was a brief notice about a summer workshop for high school teachers=
 at=20
the UMass FLRC on using video in language education. I called to ask if a=
=20
video instructor was needed, submitted my application, and was hired -=20=

partly because my sample video had high quality audio. After a year of=20=

working on projects there, I was hired to be the director in 1989 when Ma=
rie=20
Sheppard left to be director of the U of Colorado language center.=20

My language background included knowing three languages at varying levels=
=20
as well as some overseas travel. I was thrilled to be in a position that=20=

combined technology, education, and working with people from many=20
backgrounds.

Best wishes to everyone for 2009!
Irene Starr
UMass Amherst retiree