LLTI Archives

January 2009, Week 3

From:
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 14:11:06 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Warren Roby <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: Warren Roby <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "'Language Learning and Technology International Information    Forum'"
>Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:11:46 -0600
>Subject: RE: #9033.6 (!) Degrees
>acceptlanguage: en-US

I am one who deliberately got into the field because of good experiences using
technology as a learner.

My BA is in linguistics with minors in French and Spanish.  I spent much time in
the language laboratory (I am showing my age).

A course I took while in my TESOL master's program (using the 3rd edition of
Edward M. Stack's book) fired this interest.  By the way, Ermal Garinger taught
it.

I had some brief, but positive, experiences with personal computing in the early
80s in Japan, I decided that for my Ph.D. I would study Educational
Communications/Instructional Technology.  My goal was to get a joint appointment
as a professor and lab director.  I applied for two jobs and was offered both.

I got through the tenure and promotion process and took a sabbatical in Japan
that gave me much time for reading and writing. I found that I did not miss the
daily burdens of equipment and student employees.  I was very tired of the
politics of my stateside institution and wanted to get closer to my aging
parents. I was able to make a move.

In the process of starting a language program almost from scratch I was able to
build a small lab (from absolute zero).  So I have stayed involved in the field.

Over my years I have noted a fairly high burn-out rate among lab directors and
senior staff.  I think one should have an educational background that allows one
to do something else.

Warren

P.S. I will be at SOCALLT 2009 next month and hope to see some of the LLTI
community there.

Warren B. Roby, Ph.D.
Professor and Chairman of Language Studies John Brown University 2000 W.
University Siloam Springs, AR  72761
479-524-7309 (direct line)
479-238-8563 (FAX)
http://faculty.jbu.edu/wroby/