LLTI Archives

January 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:06:57 -0500
from  [log in to unmask]

LeeAnn's thoughtful comment was probably more useful than mine.  She
reminds me that I have long maintained that the three essential
requirements for those of us in this business are:
1.  Foreign language expertise (especially teaching)
2.  A geek-like outlook... technological interest/expertise.
3.  Management skills.

I have seen folks do well without one or more of these requirements,
but they nearly always had someone working with them who could
complement them.

Yes, there are degrees in each of these areas, but not in all three
areas.  The great SLA programs take care of "1", and while you're there
you may work with "2" and you may get to work in a lab where you develop
"3"    That is if you're LUCKY and get to STUMBLE into this absolutely
wonderful profession!

Hope this helps.

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.