LLTI Archives

January 2009, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:07:01 -0500
LeeAnn and all,

I'm glad that this topic came up. I recently graduated for Northeastern
Illinois University with an M.A. in Linguistics. However, I have worked for
the past 10 years in the field of association management--starting as a
graphic designer, moving into Web design and Web programming, and now
serving as Director of Member & Technical Services for a nonprofit
professional society headquartered in Chicago. On weekend, I teach Irish
Gaelic to kids as part of a community-center program.

I would really like to make a lateral career move into CALL but, so far, it
has been my perception that most employing institutions desire candidates
with a Ph.D. Northern Illinois University offers a graduate certificate in
Foreign Language Instructional Technology
(http://catalog.niu.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=11&poid=1813) but I'm
not certain if even a six-course certificate would help me become more
competitive in the marketplace.

I would be very interested hearing any professional development advice the
group may have to share....

Best regards,
Brian Doyle

Teaching