LLTI Archives

January 2009, Week 1

From:
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2009 20:18:57 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 10:52:21 -0500
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Fed. rulemaking: DVD clip compilations

I had mentioned that requests were going forward to allow instructors at
  various levels to circumvent DVD encryption in order to make copies of
clips to be shown in class. This right, or rather exemption, was
obtained in 2006 by film instructors using DVDs purchased by their
departmental libraries for teaching purposes. So far it has not been
extended to any other kind of instructor or class of media (e.g. even a
film professor could not take a clip from a personal DVD if it was
copy-protected, and a language professor would not be allowed to make
clip compilations at all).

The request I am involved with is that of Gary Handman, of the Media
Resources Center UC Berkeley. I heard about it through the Videolib-l
list. It turns out that there are a lot of academics who had similar ideas.

Here is an article that summarizes the various requests:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/12/30/copyright

Here is the site where all the requests have been posted:

http://www.copyright.gov/1201/2008/index.html

(It is still possible to submit a comment at
http://www.copyright.gov/1201/comment-forms/)

Judy Shoaf

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.