LLTI Archives

December 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:55:24 -0500
Dear Colleagues,

The registrar at one of our Consortium schools has sought help with
questions concerning online placement tests.  If you can reply to me
with brief answers to the following questions, I will send a note to
Santa that you be put on the "good kids" list.  Thanks for your help.

Merle Krueger
reply to:  [log in to unmask]

LANGUAGE PLACEMENT EXAMS

Since language placement exams often require additional (oral/aural)
components and can be used to place out of the language, they are
proving to be more complex than other on-line placement exams for us.
Your help with the following questions is much appreciated.

1)  Do you administer (or plan to) language placement exams on-line?

  2)  If so, can students take these remotely? Are they monitored or are
students allowed to take them without proctoring?

  3)  How are on-line language exams handled? Do they include audio components?

  4)  Can any of your on-line exams be used to place out of a
requirement? If yes, how do you handle on-line placement exams for
foreign languages when students can use these exams to place out of a
foreign language requirement?

--
Merle Krueger, Ph.D.
Associate Director, Center for Language Studies;

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.