LLTI Archives

December 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:51:19 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Greg Russak <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date:         Thu, 4 Dec 2008 09:32:11 -0500
>From: Greg Russak <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: <ADV> Defense Language Institute Wins Six Months of Free OWL Hosted
Service
>To: [log in to unmask]
>cc: Greg Russak <[log in to unmask]>

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Defense Language Institute Wins Six Months of Free Hosted Testing Service;
Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education Has Winning Entry

PITTSBURGH (Dec. 2, 2008) - OWL Testing Software, a premier provider of
affordable Web-based testing and assessment systems for academia,
government, and business users announced today that the winner of their
drawing for six months of free OWL Hosted testing service was the Defense
Language Institute Foreign Language Center (DLIFLC).  The winning entry
belonged to Dr. Jielu Zhao, Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education.
His entry was randomly drawn from among all those who attended the OWL
demonstration held at the ACTFL 2008 Annual Convention and World
Languages Expo in Orlando in November.

Chris Dalessandri, OWL Testing Software president and CEO, said, "I was
pleased that so many educators and language professionals came to our
demonstration.  They got to see for themselves how OWL software is used to
test, rate, and collect data for speaking, writing, reading, and listening
assessments. Now it will be our honor and privilege to provide Dr. Zhao and
the DLIFLC with six months of our hosted testing service."

The DLIFLC is regarded by many as one of the finest schools for foreign
language instruction in the world.  Located at the Presidio of Monterey,
DLIFLC provides resident instruction in some 23 languages and several dialects
administered through 31 language departments and the Operation Enduring
Freedom Task Force.  Instruction is also routinely provided under DLIFLC-
supervised contractual arrangements in Washington, D.C., in over 84
languages and dialects. The DLIFLC also provides extensive nonresident
instructional support in a variety of languages and dialects. As Associate
Provost for Undergraduate Education, Dr. Zhao serves as the Chief
Instructional Officer for nine language schools and the Student Learning
Center.

Dalessandri remarked, "Dr. Zhao appeared to be genuinely pleased and
enthusiastic when his entry was drawn. I can assure you that everyone at
OWL Testing Software is excited about it, too.  We're all looking forward to
working with him and his staff."

###

About OWL Testing Software
OWL Testing Software is the leading solutions provider of language test
building software to academia, business, and government markets. Built as a
web-based solution for test creation, administration, and management, OWL
Testing Software is unique in its ability to create tests for all four
communication skills - oral, aural, reading and writing. OWL is available as
licensed software and as a hosted solution to meet the needs of the largest
and smallest schools, businesses, and government agencies concerned with
enhancing the language learning process and outcomes. Please visit
www.owlts.com or call 412-436-0559 for more information.

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.