MACSCRPT Archives

December 2008

MACSCRPT@LISTSERV.DARTMOUTH.EDU

From:
john darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:07:29 -0600
Hello all:

   We recently switched to a new network service that has the
unfortunate side effect of moving the Pagemaker document data fork to
the Mac client but not the resource fork.  This is particularly
unfortunate in that we build a report inside a Pagemaker document, save
it on the network and then move it to the Mac client at a later date for
use by editors.

   The solution my bosses have come up with is to rewrite the program
generating the document so that the document comes out as a text file
instead.

   I would like to take a much simpler path and rebuild the resource
fork, ensuring that the appropriate creator and type values can be found
therein.

   Looking at 'resource' under man in the terminal, I do indeed find a
command that will generate a resource fork if this syntax is used:

Resource filename ?access?  //  Please note that the #@%!!%$#$# email
client capitalizes the resource command-I use lower case

   The 'man' description calls this a 'Tcl' command-Tool command
language.

   Using this at the bash command prompt, I receive a 'command not
found.'
   I cannot find any further documentation as to how it may be used.

   My questions are:

1.)	 Is there an easier way to recreate the resource fork of a
Pagemaker document with the requisite creator and type values?
2.)	If not, how does one use the 'resource' command?
R,
John A.M. Darnell
Team Leader
Walsworth Publishing Company
Brookfield, MO
John may also be reached at [log in to unmask]

Trivia Question:  In The Lord of the Rings, Gollum sometimes made
reference to his "birthday present," which he more often called 'My
Precious!"  To what was he referring?