LLTI Archives

November 2008, Week 4

From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:42:03 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Lauersdorf, Mark R" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>From: "Lauersdorf, Mark R" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:19:51 -0500
>Subject: Final Call - Language Technology at KFLC 2009
>acceptlanguage: en-US

N$ACo$EB,j$B0j
+aBjYr<=$E6$E6a$DB^uo*j$E7'+/-$DA+}Bo5-cy^,$B4>>n+-j">>I4NEP?E3Q1f
B a$ACaje...$FA+!TM$DDa/$DArKhd*aAn<=)$E0jfci
&o(c)$DDd<>A$E9$DE<>'^+/-$ACz{_a$E9]+/-'$
a'nan$EBAEA(c)$A6a$EDc$B7(uA*dy^va.o$E9$EDjy(R)ua$F2c$EA$E6j)iAEa+jhuawhpi$BBb$B
7*i$B7uaAka$BB<>y/Bvy^{ejv<>aa$EC
ao<>$E9$E8^$B7ov)$E0^)em$EA$DEoa$DEu'<>cf<>aD*o"c{azaazPIZu$DC(R)pi$E7bdy^ra$EDA
E&$EEd*'=>*.<>$E7a$F7cu$DAv(<=$DC(R)$BB*n$AFz$DA+zj/zyb<=n'j$DA$A6ou$E6*o!bu(c)e
A*.<=.i/$DEipi^da(u/udy^j$EBac$BAd$ACo$EB,jo
$EB"uazz+o(c)kzor~$E9$DCd*'deg.$FC(R)$BApioaZkc$DAo<<$AC+/-(R)<>$EAAEaPIBE*.<>TM
iAEa$DAoOeaw$ACHello all,

Time is running out to submit your proposals for "LangTech at the KFLC"!

This is the Final Call for Papers - but the deadline for LangTech abstract
submissions has been extended to:

Monday, 01 December 2008

Please note the following *critical* information:

1) this deadline extension applies *only* to the Language Technology division of
the KFLC
2) proposals submitted after the original deadline (24 November 2008) must be
sent *directly to me* by e-mail (rather than through the online submission site)

Please share this final call with your colleagues in world languages,
literatures, cultures, and linguistics, and consider taking some time during the
Thanksgiving Break to send us your abstract!

Mark Lauersdorf

P.S. As always, a .pdf version of this Call for Papers is available for you to
share with your colleagues in the language programs who may not be on LLTI.
Please let me know if you would like one.

***********************************

FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS -- LANGUAGE TECHNOLOGY

Heading into its fourth year as an official division of the Kentucky Foreign
Language Conference, "LangTech at the KFLC" seeks high quality papers on any
aspect of:

Technology for Language, Literature, Culture, and Linguistics

We are continuing our efforts to attract presentations specifically on the use
of technology in *literary, cultural, and linguistic* teaching and research,
including but not limited to:

- integrating technology into literature, culture, and linguistics classrooms
- technology as a tool for student projects and research in literature, culture,
and linguistics
- faculty research in literature, culture, and linguistics employing technology
tools ("digital humanities")

Abstracts are, of course, also welcome in *all* other areas and aspects of
technology and language, such as:

- using tech tools and techniques for language instruction in all skills and on
all levels
- guiding language educators toward optimal use of technology in their teaching
and research
- employing technology-based research and publication in language scholarship
- managing language technology in an academic setting

The KFLC has a tradition of attracting scholars from a broad range of languages
and specializations. This year's conference will have sessions in Arabic,
French, German, Hispanic, Italian, and Luso-Afro-Brazilian Studies, as well as
Second Language Acquisition. We would like to see this broad range represented
in the Language Technology sessions, to encourage cross-pollination of ideas
among the individual languages and disciplines working to integrate technology
into their teaching and research programs, and to encourage participants from
the various literature, culture, and linguistics sessions to join us in our
discussions.

Abstracts should be no more than 250-300 words in length and through 24 November
2008 should be submitted directly online at:

KFLC Abstract Site: http://www.kflcabstracts.uky.edu/

Abstracts submitted between 25 November 2008 and 01 December 2008 (the extended
deadline), should be submitted by e-mail directly to: Mark Richard Lauersdorf at

In view of the multi-language audience that we hope to attract to all Language
Technology sessions, the recommended language of presentation is English.

All proposed abstracts will be considered for inclusion in the KFLC program.
Acceptance of a paper implies a commitment on the part of the participant(s) to
register and attend the conference. All presenters must pay the appropriate
registration fee by 15 February 2009 to be included in the program. The
conference will take place 16-18 April 2009 on the campus of the University of
Kentucky in Lexington.

For more information on conference logistics, please visit:
http://web.as.uky.edu/kflc/. For specific information on the Language Technology
sessions, contact the division leader at the coordinates listed below.

We look forward to seeing you in beautiful springtime Kentucky as a contributor
to the continued growth and success of "LangTech at the KFLC"!

Mark Lauersdorf

-----------------------------------
Dr. Mark Richard Lauersdorf
KFLC $E2Ai Language Technology division leader

Associate Professor of Languages and Linguistics
Director of Language Technology
Interim Director, Collaboratory for
   Research in Computing for Humanities
1055 Patterson Office Tower