LLTI Archives

November 2008, Week 2

From:
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:29:43 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "Perkins, Jonathan" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Subject: RE: #9007 The death of VHS is upon us!
>Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:33:48 -0600
>From: "Perkins, Jonathan" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"

As I understand the exemption regarding "obsolete formats", it applies only to
computer programs and video games.  As such, VHS to DVD conversions are not
covered.  If I am wrong about this, and I hope I am , how we would determine
when "the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in
that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in
the commercial marketplace."  If amazon.com stops selling VCRs is that a green
light to start converting our VHS tapes?

Jon