LLTI Archives

November 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:51:50 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 09:07:58 -0500
>From: Judy Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum
>Subject: Re: #8991.1 Questions about written policy regarding SLA research in
basic language

Here is a UF website devoted to non-medical research using human
subjects. http://irb.ufl.edu/irb02/index.html

I would suggest working with a lawyer to determine guidelines. I doubt
this is something a department can set policies on. Cf.

http://irb.ufl.edu/FWA.htm

If you have medical or psychology departments, see if they have
structures already in place for approving research projects.

My impression is that here, there is a review board or at least officer
which approves the protocols drawn up by the experimenter. Students are
recruited from the classes--usually from multi-section courses, so it
involves the participation of the department and the course heads as
well as the section instructors. Even if the research uses up actual
class time, students have the right to opt out without penalty. (Usually
some enticement is offered, ranging from a bit of extra credit to a
piece of exotic candy!). Participating students sign forms acknowledging
how their data will be used.

A good deal of SLA research using students in classes has taken place in
  the language lab here (I think the first one was right after we got
our first computer classroom 12 years ago). Basically the lab is used
for audio data collection. Sometimes there are before-and-after
recordings which simply suggest the efficacity of particular kind of
exercise, sometimes a protocol which involves the student talking, in
English or the target language or a mix, about what he/she is doing
(e.g. reading a page online with access to dictionaries and other linked
helps). In that very first case, we used the lab to host a little
software program whose efficacity was being tested, and more recently
classes meeting in the lab provided data by using an online
pronunciation module and saving their work.

Judy Shoaf

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.