LLTI Archives

November 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:34:51 -0500
 Dear colleagues,

 May I have your perspective on two questions?

 This is the background of my questions. I am in a department with a
 primary focus on literature. I am the only faculty in applied linguistics. I
have recently conducted an experimental research study with basic language
students and encountered resistance from colleagues who oversee basic language
programs. The focus of my colleagues who oversee basic language programs is
teaching and administration. My department recently had a retreat to plan f or
the future of the department. Some colleagues who oversee basic language
programs wanted to include "develop a written policy governing the  place o f
faculty research in basic language" in the five-year plan.
 These are my questions:

 1. Does your department have a formal written policy regarding
 second language acquisition research in basic language programs? If so, what is
the pol icy? (Please note that the original language of my colleagues is
"develop a written policy governing the place of faculty research in basic
language."
 )

 2. Have you met colleagues that are against foreign language research in th e
classroom? If so, how did you convince these colleagues of the importance of
this type of research?

 Thank you for your response,

 Fenfang Hwu

 Associate Professor

 Department of Romance Languages & Literatures

 University of Cincinnati

 Cincinnati, OH 45221