LLTI Archives

November 2008, Week 1

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:51:57 -0500
--- Forwarded Message from "A-P. Lian" <[log in to unmask]> ---

>Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 08:15:39 -0600
>From: "A-P. Lian" <[log in to unmask]>
>Sender: [log in to unmask]
>To: "Language Learning and Technology International Information Forum"
>Subject: Re: 8988.4 (!) next question- multi-user video conferencing tools

Hi Takeshi and other colleagues

I am not sure if it was mentioned by anyone, but Dimdim is very
interesting and free for up to 20 people (I think) http://dimdim.com -
they claim to be the next skype (only for videoconferencing).

best wishes
Andrew

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 07:26, LLTI-Editor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
> > mailing
> > list.  I really appreciate it.  I checked each applications and
> > website
> > you all suggested - whether it is cross-platform or not, how many
> > ways
> > can we have for video conferencing, and price...etc
> >
> > After looking at the information below, there is a question I would
> > like
> > to ask you all again.  I was wondering if you know of any programs
> > that
> > I can have 10-12 ways video conferencing?  Most of the
> > applications/software are mostly limited to 4 ways, which are nice,
> > but
> > I was hoping to have approximately 10 participants at the same time
> > in
> > the video conferencing.  Is it even possible to do that?
> >
> > Furthermore, there are web meeting companies such as Elluminate Live
> > http://www.elluminate.com/ or Marratech (http://www.marratech.com/)
> >
> > I was also wondering if you have used any of web-meeting programs
> > like
> > that.  Could you share any of your experiences on using these
> > programs?
> >

> > Sincerely
> >
> > Takeshi
> >
> > =============video conference tools=========================
> > oovoo: http://www.oovoo.com/download/
> > standard FREE - 3ways video chat,  super $15/month 6 ways, (for Mac
> > and
> > Windows
> >
> > ConferenceXP: http://research.microsoft.com/conferencexp/
> > 4 ways conference (Windows only (except Mac running Virtual VM)
> > ConferenceXP is licensed for non-commercial use, subject to the
> > restrictions in the license.
> >
> > Xmeeting - http://xmeeting.sourceforge.net/pages/index.php
> > For Mac, open-source
> >
> > EVO : http://evo.caltech.edu/evoGate/
> > Cross-platform, how many ways do we have for video conference???
> >
> > oovoo: http://www.oovoo.com/download/
> >
> > Sightspeed: http://www.sightspeed.com/
> > Free 2-way    plus 4-way      business 9-way
> >
> > Dimdim: http://dimdim.com/
> > Cross-platform 2-Way Video Chat (Pro & Enterprise only)
> >
> > iChat
> > 4-way, for Mac

> > ++++++
> > Takeshi Sengiku
> > Director of Language Resource Center
> > Lecturer in Asian Studies Department
> > Coordinator for Self-Instructional Arabic Language program
> > Gettysburg College, Gettysburg, PA
> > Email: [log in to unmask]
> > Phone: 717-337-6340
> > ++++++

> > LLTI is a service of IALLT, the International Association for
> > Language Learning (http://iallt.org/), and The Consortium for
> > Language
> > Teaching
> > and Learning (http://www.languageconsortium.org/).
> > Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.
> > Otmar Foelsche, LLTI-Editor ([log in to unmask])

Professor Dr Andrew Lian
Vice-President of AsiaCALL
Chair, Dept. of Foreign Languages
Western Illinois University
Macomb, IL, 61455, USA
e-mail: [log in to unmask]; website: http://www.andrewlian.com
Phone: +1 (309) 298-1558; Fax: +1 (309) 298-1060

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. (Anais Nin)
The universe is made up of stories, not atoms (Muriel Rukeyser)

Teaching
Join IALLT at http://iallt.org.